Friday, June 26, 2009

The Pace of Time

My father often told me that time seems to speed up as you get older. It is clear that he was right.

I've started to notice that I do not plan my work day any longer by what I hope to complete in the morning or afternoon. I have already passed thinking in terms of what I'll do on a particular day. Now my routine is to partition my plans in terms of weeks and months. The good news is that I'm much more skilled at so-called long range planning. It came natural, because long range seems kinda short these days. The bad news is that sometimes more bizarre time-warp things happen.

My morning routine is fairly well-scripted. So each new day the activities are almost identical to the one before. This morning, as I began the shower/shave sequence, I had a creepy feeling that I had already done these activities and that I should move on to the next task. But I was remembering yesterday. I felt as if maybe I had simply stepped into the kitchen for a moment after showering and shaving and had just returned. Not so. Instead I had lived an entire day and slept through the night. Even though it seemed like only minutes had passed, it was time to shower and shave again. Already.

Can anyone tell me what month it is?

1 comment:

  1. And sometimes, like this morning, I showered, walked into the kitchen, and forgot that I had just showered. I almost headed that way again until I noticed that I felt clean. Strange... but not so strange.

    ReplyDelete