Thursday, August 12, 2010

Consequences

view from the saddle

I have a friend who thinks that golf is a metaphor for life. He's a golfer. I think a cycling metaphor can teach almost any life lesson. Here's one; bad choices lead to unpleasant consequences.

Yesterday, the afternoon was hot. So I decided to skip riding in the afternoon and planned to ride early this morning. The problem is that I made poor diet choices yesterday which lead to unpleasant consequences. I didn't sleep well (consequence 1). Because I didn't sleep well, I didn't get up early and ride this morning (consequence 2). Not able to ride, I went through the day agitated carrying around regret (consequence 3). Determined to solve the agitation problem, I decided to go out and ride this afternoon in the 102 (feels like 105) heat. It was unpleasant (consequence 4).

What is true here in the realm of cycling vividly illustrates a universal principle. It's best to pay attention to our decisions, and make good ones. Sometimes those unpleasant consequences can domino on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment