Saturday, September 20, 2008

Overlapping Loops


As anticipated, Gene and I schemed a bit and came up with a plan to get the two Kogswell P/Rs together on the road. The plan included the following:

1. I get up early and ride to the Denton square.
2. Gene buys the coffee.
3. Gene shows me the way to the south end of the Greenbelt trail.
4. I document the ride with photos.
5. We ride north up to the Lake Ray Roberts dam, then west to FM 2164.
6. Gene turns south back toward Denton, I turn north back toward Sanger.

In other words, we both rode looped routes from our respective homes. Part of our individual routes overlapped with each other. Nobody has to drive...and that's a good thing.

The weather was virtually ideal. It was cool in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and there was little wind. It was a perfect opportunity for me to stretch out the mileage a little longer than what I've been doing lately and to enjoy the company of a friend with similar cycling aspirations.

We didn't linger too long at the coffee shop. It was still cool as we reached the edge of town.

Within minutes we were on the Greenbelt Trail for 10+ miles of quiet exploration.

The trail follows the Elm Fork of the Trinity River and crosses over somewhere in the middle.

Neither of us commonly see this many of these guys in one spot.

Since our last visit, Gene added Albatross bars, front rack, and basket.

This is the downstream side of the dam.

I had to work very hard to get ahead for this shot of Gene finishing the climb up the dam.

Once again, I can't resist rural Texas yard art.

Just before our loops diverge.

It was a lonely road back home.

A familiar creek...almost home.

Next time we do the overlapping loop thing, Gene suggests we meet up closer to my town. Sounds good. Next time, the coffee is on me.

2 comments:

  1. It appears your new riding buddy does not wear a helmet. Perhaps you could pass along to him from me that from experience I can affirm a broken helmet is easy to replace. I suspect I broken head is not.
    My coworker's son was thrown off of a 4 wheeler going about the same speed as you ride. That was three weeks ago. He will soon be ok but not without 1 week in ICU, 1 week in heavy rehab, and however long it takes in light rehab. He was not wearing a helmet.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. You heard him, Gene.

    I guess I should mention to Keith that you are planning to be wearing that helmet more often.

    I'll confess to not wearing mine every time I turn a crank, but I'm ready to give that more thought.

    Thanks for caring, Keith.

    ReplyDelete