Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Less/More

I keep telling myself I'm growing more wise. I keep saying that I'm figuring things out. I say to myself that I now see things differently...that my values have changed...that God has given me greater insight.

The problem is that seeing and understanding are not the same as being. The practical reality is that it is difficult to climb up through American culture to those lofty spiritual heights. The hectic pace, the material distractions, and the habits of convenience and what we think is newer, more sophisticated, and better are a challenge to turn down, reject, and walk on by. It is hard to find or define a better way. Where is the modern day example?

When I think about one concept, I forget another. It's all so complicated. So today, in an attempt to simplify, a table was created. In one column, I listed things that should be reduced in my life. In another column, I listed things that should be increased. The "less" column and the "more" column, if you will. This provides an "at-a-glance" reminder of several things to try to keep in mind during the day. Without defining something so extreme as to upset a proper balance, I simply recognize which direction I need to move in the areas listed. The list looks like this.


On one hand, it's simple. But having a simple list doesn't mean it will be easy. I know I'll need all the help I can get to improve. This is a request for all family and friends to help. Because now that I think about it, I really need to add one more row to my list. In the less column, let's add "say" and in the more column..."do".

No comments:

Post a Comment