Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Observant Recruit


The recruit joined me for a frosty, but unusually sunny Saturday morning ride. Because I can see his potential, I joked that I was not going to coach him.

We did the same route today that we did last time, but he said it was much easier today. Surprised, I asked how that could be. He said he was watching me and my cadence as we climbed some of the larger rollers, imitated my gear selection, and it made all the difference.

I think, he thinks, that I think, he was flattering me as the wise teacher. Not so. I know what he was really doing was trying to get inside my head. He learns fast, this recruit. I wonder if he plans to back up his mind tricks with some saddle time.

If he plans to continue to observe and imitate me, he'll need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment