Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hard to Explain


The bride asked incredulously, "You mean you sold the burgundy frame you just painted?!"

"Uh, yes...", I replied.

The bride followed up astonished, "You mean you sold the frame you just paid good money to modify the forks?! All that planning, time, and money, and it's already gone?"

"Uh, yes...", I replied trying to figure out a way to explain something she'll never understand.

Then, fairly sternly, she followed with, "You mean you sold the frame that I stressed-out driving all the way to Dallas to pick-up for you while you were out of town?!"

I just kept my eyes on her and slowly backed out of the room.

Not long ago (like back in January), I completed this project. Since then I've sold the frame and headed off in another direction. Although I did make some decisions regarding the new project, I'm still kind of wandering around a bit.

I did decide to make my entire stable 650b.

I did decide to not bother with a freewheel (at least for now), and go with a fixed wheel instead.

I did decide to keep the low trail geometry.

But I'm still on the fence about whether to keep the drops (as shown above), or to give the albatross bars another try. Since the cockpit on the prior project was a little tight, I've ordered a stem with more extension. I'm thinking I might switch bars.

So I go out to the garage to sit on the bike, hold the albatross bars up in position, and try to evaluate the feel.

The bride walks by, pauses a second when she sees me, then rolls her eyes and walks away.

11 comments:

  1. Fixed wheel feels antithetical to the experience of rolling down country roads. Dappled sunlight passing through a cathedral of trees. Two lane bridges spanning ancient streams. Caliche lanes vanishing into a waiting distance. Fixed wheel feels like downtown Dallas and tattooed calves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get a lot more cooperation out of your honey than I do. There's no way mine would drive to Dallas to pick up a frame. Basically, she doesn't want to know anything about my bikes.... except when they begin to overpopulate the living room!

    [bingsmif]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep in mind that she'd MUCH rather you chase the perfect bike than to chase showgirls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny, I hear you, but the result is so similar to my Kogwell P/R that I'm leaning (now) toward variety.

    Twister, interesting observation. That is not my experience. Instead, fixed wheel feels (to me) steady motion, pedals pacing with the terrain, and moving with the momentum of rural rollers. That said, I do have this odd longing for a tattoo I can't explain.

    Steve, maybe. I think she'd rather I chase the bottom of the honey-do list.

    Doohickie, she is very cooperative. Especially considering it all appears to be insanity to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and apparently the guy you sold the frame to, is selling it himself.

    How 'bout we add another dog to the household?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when I read your post. I think we've all had to deal with similar comments from our wives, especially when it comes to bikes.

    The new V.O. is nice! Is that a set of the new V.O cranks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bride, first sell one, then add one.

    Myles, as recommended by Anthony, IRD Defiant Track Crankset Silver 144bcd 46T 165mm arms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Kinda antithetical to the stated goal of the previous project to reduce consumption, but I can certainly understand springing for a machine like this.

    You're lucky to have an understanding bride. Mine is very understanding as well ... that's not to say there isn't a certain level of eye-rolling at times, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm obsessed, and sometimes I deserve a little eye-rolling.

    Personally, I'd keep the drops, but I do understand the desire for variety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great story, and great spouse. and hopefully great bike. as for drops, I find myself liking the swept-backs on the Ute more than I expected. Not a vote, just an observation.

    ReplyDelete