Saturday, December 11, 2010

Life's Balance Beam


My oh my, life is a tricky balance. It seems that constant adjustments are required to keep from falling right off of it. Whether it is work/play, vegetables/dessert, or spend/save, without a little pondering, one could find himself anxiously teetering on the edge.

Some of you seem to be beautifully coordinated. For the rest of us, however, there is much flailing of the arms. Sometimes I think I have a permanent inner ear condition, and feel like I'm scooting along that 4-inch beam slowly on my knees, holding on with both hands. This week was kind of like that. No riding since last Saturday.


Probable Gravel Gateway

Today, however, I corrected my course a bit. Wanting to make sure that the beginning of the Second Annual Fall Finale Forty-Mile Country Path Ramble was "open" for folks on bicycles, part of my outing went to the first patch o' gravel for the route. I might switch the start direction at the last minute based on weather conditions, but the photos in this post represent the most likely scenario.


Closed to motorized vehicles, but fine for bicycles

Unless things change drastically next week, things look fine. The bridge is still under construction, but quite passable.

So after a week that almost pushed me off the edge, I've now been able to restore some balance. Spending a few hours outside on two wheels can do that. Anxiety alleviated.


First creek crossing on the route

Balancing life can be tricky. Don't forget to make a few corrections from time to time. Maybe for some of you it's just about time to spend a few hours outdoors on a crisp, late autumn day, grinding gravel with a few friends. It might be the right life balance adjustment for a hectic holiday schedule ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Some of us, no doubt more primitive than the rest, just want to see the catfish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is tough indeed. I tend to go careening from end of the beam to the other. Probably not the greatest way to go about it.

    It's going to be a beautiful ride, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the black and white photos! On the topic of balance, check out the movie, "Man on Wire".
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete