The project bike has been plagued with a few nagging obstacles. Work overload has been by far the biggest obstacle, but bike deficiencies coupled with my own sense of how things must be are also limiting progress.
After the initial inventory, step two was a reasonably thorough cleaning. The bike was partially disassembled, washed, and de-greased. The parts intended for re-use were re-lubed and re-installed. I didn't take the time to polish the components, but the remaining luster on some of them was still quite satisfying.
Step Three was sorting out the wheels. The original plan was to use the existing wheels. However, the Campy Moskva 80 rims, due to their apparent slightly oversized diameter, proved to be a major hassle for tire removal/installation. Besides, I have a nice pair of Mavic Open Pro wheels that are lighter and more pleasing to the (my) eye.
The Mavic front wheel was fine as is. The Mavic rear wheel included a Shimano Ultegra freehub, which is not compatible with my frame spacing or the Suntour 6-speed freewheel that came with the bike. So I asked Bernie at Trinity Bicycles to find me a reasonably priced hub and build me a new rear wheel using my rim. He recommended a Suzue hub that looks pretty good, and the wheels are complete. Another satisfying step.
The wheel photo above illustrates what an irreverent mixture of parts this bike will have. Mavic rim, Suzue hub, Suntour freewheel, Campy rear derailleur, and Shimano skewer. I'm afraid this will be the ugly duckling of frankenbikes when finished. Yet, I remain optimistic that this creature will be able to inspire a little pedaling intensity out of a long hibernation.
Step Four coming soon...