Saturday, August 23, 2008

P/R Rendezvous


The rendezvous ride departure preceeded dawn. To meet up with my newest friend, Gene, at the Denton Square by 8:00am, pedaling had to start in the dark. Since it is still pretty hot in north Texas, an early start is a good idea even with no appointment.

Gene and I had our first encounter when he noticed my Kogswell Model P and asked me about it, months back. We chatted only briefly and I regretted not getting his name or contact information. Weeks passed and I posted my Kogswell P/R on the Fixed Gear Gallery, Gene saw it, and fortunately he resumed our conversation by email. It wasn't until today that we actually met and talked bikes. Schedules aligned and we decided it would be good to have a P/R rendezvous. He has the first generation P/R and I have one from the second batch. It didn't take long to see we had similar interests.

We have both spent time riding racier bikes and wearing racier gear. Lately, however, we've developed an interest in riding comfortably for the sheer joy of riding a bike. As such, we don't mind sacrificing extra weight for comfort. In fact, our conversation revealed that we both have an interest in bicycle touring.

I think Gene's bike is delightful.

Gene is not such a bad guy either. It wouldn't surprise me for us to meet up again before too long and get those two P/R's out on the road.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the coffee and conversation this morning, Chris. It was a pleasure to be able to share my interest in bikes & all things slow with someone who could relate. Lookin' forward to some Saturday morning rambles. -Gene

    ReplyDelete